What I ate in Oslo

During my two and a half days in Oslo I had some really lovely lunches and dinners. As I love seafood and Norway provides great options on that front I had three seafood meals. Besides this I also like to try out burgers at different restaurant (not fast food) so that’s what I went for the first evening.
The Aker Brygge area offers several restaurants by the sea. On the first day I had lunch at Louise Restaurant & Bar. I chose Smoked salmon loin from Lerøy, which was served with shaved fennel, radishes, apple, celery, pickled cucumber, sour cream with chives, baby leaves, grated horseradish and rye. This was a really lovely lunch. For dinner I headed to Østbanehallen and had a burger at the Royal Gastropub. My pick was the Jack, a burger with Monterey Jack, pickled red onion, grilled tomato, salad, ranch dressing served with fries. With it I had a pint of local lager called Hansa. The burger was nice but nothing to write home about.





On the second day I ended up at a chain restaurant for lunch. It was Jamie’s Italian at Aker Brygge and I must admit I was slightly skeptical about what kind of food quality this place would offer. I opted for “Our famous prawn linguine”, which was linguine pasta with garlicky prawns, tomatoes, fennel, saffron, fresh chili and rocket. I also ordered a nice glass of white wine. I must admit that I was positively surprised – the food was actually good and I really enjoyed the pasta. After lunch I bought an ice cream from Hennig-Olsen Is, an Norwegian ice cream maker founded in 1924. I had one scoop of salted caramel ice cream, which was super delicious. For dinner I found an amazing place called Mathallen. In this food hall that seeks inspiration from the best food courts in Europe you find specialty shops, cafés and great places to eat. Throughout the year, there are also different festivals and events celebrating food, drink and good experiences. I decided to eat at Vulkanfisk. I had the shrimp plate and a glass of white wine. The plate consisted of 300 grams of shrimp, white bread, lemon and aioli. The shrimp were really fresh and delicious.



At Mathallen




On the last day I had a late lunch at the airport. I didn’t find the restaurant I wanted to go to so I ended up at another Jamie’s Italian. This time I had a pizza with beer. I had the Porkie with sweet tomato sauce, pepperoni, smoky pancetta, spicy salami, mozzarella and oregano. I picked off the pancetta as it was too “raw” to my taste but the pizza was really delicious.


Labels: , ,