I the traveler

I wanted to share my ”travel profile” with you. I have loved traveling ever since I was small and would travel around Finland and the Nordic countries with my parents and brother. The first time I got to travel on a plane was when I was six and my grandparents took me and my brother on a skiing trip to Yugoslavia and I immediately loved flying.

When I was still living at home, my family didn’t really travel abroad much apart from a few trips within the Nordic countries. However, my grandparents would take me and my brother skiing to Yugoslavia or Romania (these destinations were chosen because they were cheap) every winter and when I was 12 my brother and I traveled with his then girlfriend’s family to Austria for a skiing holiday. When I was 14 my brother was away for an exchange student year and I convinced my grandparents that I didn’t want to go skiing alone (my grandparents didn’t ski) so they took me Madeira that winter. I also traveled to Leningrad (currently St. Petersburg) in my early teens with my mother and grandmother. At 17 I made my first long-haul flight when I went to the US as an exchange student.



When I moved away from home and started university I joined an international student organization, which resulted in some seminar travels within Europe. During my studies I traveled to Istanbul one summer with my parents for a one week holiday and I also spent a summer working in the US as part of language training for my studies.



Once me and hubby got hitched and traveled to London for our honeymoon we started to take at least one trip abroad every year. At first, when we were still students and had a tighter budget, we usually made one trip a year within Europe. Once we got settled into working life we have been taking several trips per year and some of the destinations have been further afield. We have also tried to go on a skiing holiday in the Alps at least every two years. Despite our interest to see and experience new places and things, there are a few places neither of us feel much need to travel to. The major ones are India and Africa. I doubt we will ever travel to India and for me the only reason to travel to continental Africa would be to go on safari (African islands are a different story). I really cannot justify my feelings about this, it is simply something that does not really interest me.



Labels: